The Internal Revenue Service sent another warning last week for taxpayers to be on the lookout for a new version of a Social Security Number (SSN) scam.
The latest variation: Scammers claim to be able to suspend or cancel the victim’s SSN. “It’s yet another attempt by con artists to frighten people into returning ‘robocall’ voicemails,” the IRS said.
Scammers may mention overdue taxes in addition to threatening to cancel the person’s SSN. “If taxpayers receive a call threatening to suspend their SSN for an unpaid tax bill, they should just hang up,” the IRS instructed.
The IRS advises taxpayers that they should not give out sensitive information over the phone unless they are positive they know the caller is legitimate. The IRS and its authorized private collection agencies will never do the following:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, iTunes gift card or wire transfer. The IRS does not use these methods for tax payments.
- Ask a taxpayer to make a payment to a person or organization other than the U.S. Treasury
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand taxes be paid without giving the taxpayer the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
The IRS is asking taxpayers (who don’t owe taxes and have no reason to think they do) to:
- Report the call to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
- Report the caller ID and callback number to the IRS by sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The taxpayer should write “IRS Phone Scam” in the subject line.
- Report the call to the Federal Trade Commission. When reporting it, they should add “IRS Phone Scam” in the notes.
Taxpayers who owe tax or think they do should:
- View tax account information online at IRS.gov to see the actual amount owed and review their payment options.
- Call the number on the billing notice
- Call the IRS at 800-829-1040.
More information can be found on the IRS’s website here: