2016 FEHB Open Season Dates Announced by OPM
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) officially announced the dates for the 2016 FEHB Open Season which will run from Monday, November 14, 2016 through Monday, December 12, 2016.
During the annual Open Season, employees can take the actions listed below for the Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS), Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP), and the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program.
- Enroll in a flexible spending account (FSA) – a health care and/or dependent care account, under the FSAFEDS Program. Unlike with other programs, employees MUST reenroll in FSAFEDS each year to participate. Enrollments DO NOT automatically continue from year to year.
- Carryover has been adopted for health care and limited expense health care FSAs. Participants that are enrolled in one of these FSAs in 2016 will be able to bring up to $500 of unspent funds from 2016 into 2017. Participants must re-enroll for the 2017 Benefit Period to be eligible for carryover. Remember, there is no longer a grace period for these two accounts.
- The maximum annual election for a Health Care Flexible Spending Account and the Limited Expense Health Care Flexible Spending Account is $2550 for the 2017 Benefit Period.
- The minimum election for the flexible spending accounts is $100 for the 2017 Benefit Period.
- The maximum annual election for a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account is $5000 per household for the 2017 Benefit Period. There is no carryover for this account, but there is still a grace period.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a dental plan under the FEDVIP Program.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a vision plan under the FEDVIP Program.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a health plan under the FEHB Program.
2017 FEHB and FEDVIP Premium Rates
OPM will post FEHB and FEDVIP premium rates for 2017 in early October. Participants will find specific federal benefits open season information -- including 2017 FEHB health plan brochures -- on on its website, http://www.opm.gov/insure, by the first week in November.