Get other helpful resources like this in your inbox -- FREE!

Federal Employee Tax Tips

IRS Issues Alert of New Surge in E-mail Schemes During 2016 Tax Season
The Internal Revenue Service is noticing an approximate 400 percent surge in phishing and malware incidents so far this tax season [ MORE ]

Many Retirees Need to Take Required Retirement Plan Distributions by Dec. 31
A special rule allows first-year recipients of these payments, those who reached age 70½ during 2015, to wait until as late as April 1, 2016 to receive their first required minimum distributions [ MORE ]

5 Things to Know if You Need More Time to File Your Federal Income Taxes
April 11, 2013
With the April 15 tax-filing deadline fast approaching, some taxpayers may find that they need more time to file their tax returns. If you need extra time, here are some tips [ MORE ]

Tips for Taxpayers Who Can't Pay Their Taxes on Time
April 11, 2013
If you find you owe tax after completing your federal tax return but can't pay it all when you file, the IRS provides several options [ MORE ]

Charitable Donations from IRAs for 2012 and 2013
January 17, 2013
The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 extended the qualified charitable distribution provisions for 2012 and 2013 [ MORE ]

4 Tips for Taxpayers Who Owe Taxes
March 20, 2012
The Internal Revenue Service has expanded its "Fresh Start" initiative to help struggling taxpayers who owe taxes. [ MORE ]

10 Things to Know About Capital Gains and Losses
February 23, 2012
Here are ten facts from the Internal Revenue Service about how gains and losses can affect your federal income tax return [ MORE ]

Early Distribution from Retirement Plans May Have a Tax Impact
February 22, 2012
Taxpayers may sometimes find themselves in situations when they need to withdraw money from their retirement plan early. What they may not realize is that that transaction may mean a tax impact when they file their return [ MORE ]

7 Tips to Help You Determine if Your Social Security Benefits are Taxable
February 7, 2012
Many people may not realize the Social Security benefits they received in 2011 may be taxable. All Social Security recipients should receive a Form SSA-1099 from the Social Security Administration which shows the total amount of their benefits. You can use this information to help you determine if your benefits are taxable [ MORE ]

10 Tips to Help You Choose a Tax Preparer
January 10, 2012
Even if a return is prepared by someone else, the taxpayer is legally responsible for what's on it. So, it's very important to choose your tax preparer carefully [ MORE ]

Home Ownership and Income Taxes Part I: Necessary Recordkeeping
Edward A. Zurndorfer, Certified Financial Planner
Certified Financial Planner, Ed Zurndorfer, describes some of the tax benefits of principal residence (home) ownership and what records homeowners need to maintain throughout the time they own a home in order to minimize any capital gain taxes when the home is sold in the future [ MORE ]

Reporting Interest Income on Your Income Tax Return
Edward A. Zurndorfer, Certified Financial Planner
Tax and federal benefits expert, Ed Zurndorfer, discusses how and why individuals who receive interest income of any type -- taxable or nontaxable (tax-exempt) -- must report the income on their federal income tax returns [ MORE ]

Need to Amend Your Federal Income Tax Return?
If you forgot to include some income or to take a deduction on your tax return --- you can correct it by amending your tax return. Here's how [ MORE ]