6 Key Rules to Borrowing from Your Thrift Savings Account
You can borrow from your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account if:
- You are currently employed as a federal civilian employee or member of the uniformed services. (Separated or retired participants and beneficiary participants are not eligible.)
- You have at least $1,000 of your own contributions and associated earnings in your account. Agency contributions (and earnings on that money) cannot be borrowed.
- You are in pay status. (Loan payments are deducted from your pay.)
- You have not repaid a TSP loan (of the same type) in full within the past 60 days.
- You have not had a taxable distribution on a TSP loan within the past 12 months, unless the taxable distribution resulted from your separation from Federal service. (See page 10 for more information on taxable distributions.)
- You can take out a TSP loan even if you have stopped contributing your own money.
Source: TSPBK04 (5/2012)