Direct Deposit Now Required for Federal Retirement Benefit Payments
Notice from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
April 1, 2011
The U.S. Department of Treasury has made changes affecting the way you will receive your retirement benefits payments. Everyone will be required to change to direct deposit or receive a debit card (if you do not have a bank account). If you already have direct deposit, congratulations and thank you! If you don't, please sign up with us now. The U.S. Treasury will be sending an official notice very soon.
Wouldn't it be nice to know that you don't have to worry about your paper check being delayed in the mail, lost or stolen? Well, more than 95% of all Federal retirees receive their payments by direct deposit and they feel secure that their payments will arrive on time and are immediately available to them. Our direct deposit occurs on the first business day of each month!
To help you sign up for direct deposit, OPM is providing many options:
- You can make your change on your online retirement account at https://www.servicesonline.opm.gov.
- You can fax an SF 1199A form to 724-794-6633. This form can be obtained from your financial institution.
- You can mail an SF 1199A form to OPM, Retirement Operations, PO Box 440, Boyers PA 16017-0440.
- You can call OPM at 1-888-767-6738. Please be sure to have your bank routing number and account number handy.
- You can visit http://www.GoDirect.org or call GoDirect at 1-800-333-1795.