6 Key Rules to Borrowing from Your Thrift Savings (TSP) Account
You can borrow from your TSP account if:
- You have at least $1,000 of your own contributions and
earnings in your account. Agency contributions (and earnings on
that money) cannot be borrowed.
- You are currently employed as a Federal civilian employee or member of the
uniformed services. (Separated or retired participants and beneficiary
participants are not eligible.)
- You are in pay status. (Loan payments are deducted from your pay.)
- You have not repaid a TSP loan (of the same type) in full within the past 60
- You have not had a taxable distribution on a loan within the past 12 months,
unless the taxable distribution resulted from your separation from Federal
service. (See page 10 for more information on taxable distributions.)
- You can borrow from your TSP account even if you have stopped contributing
your own money.
Source: TSPBK04 (5/2012)