2015 FEHB Open Season Dates Announced by OPM
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) officially announced the dates for the 2015 FEHB Open Season which will run from Monday, November 9, 2015 through Monday, December 14, 2015.
Self Plus One for FEHB
As a result of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013, Self Plus One enrollment will be available beginning in January 2016. The first opportunity to enroll in Self Plus One will be during the FEHB open season.
OPM stated additional guidance on the new Self Plus One enrollment type will be forthcoming.
During the annual open season, employees can take the actions listed below for the Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS), Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP), and the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program.
- Enroll in a flexible spending account – a health care and/or dependent care account, under the FSAFEDS Program. Unlike with other programs, employees MUST reenroll in FSAFEDS each year to participate. Enrollments DO NOT automatically continue from year to year.
- Carryover has been adopted for health care and limited expense health care FSAs. Participants that have enrolled in one of these FSAs in 2015 will be able to bring up to $500 of unspent funds from 2015 into 2016. Participants must re-enroll for the 2016 Benefit Period to be eligible for carryover. Remember, there is no longer a grace period for these two accounts.
- The maximum annual election for a Health Care Flexible Spending Account and the Limited Expense Health Care Flexible Spending Account is $2,550 for the 2016 Benefit Period.
- The minimum election for the flexible spending accounts is $100 for the 2016 Benefit Period.
The maximum annual election for a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account is $5,000 for the 2016 Benefit Period. There is no carryover for this account, but there is still a grace period.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a dental plan under the FEDVIP Program.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a vision plan under the FEDVIP Program.
- Enroll in, change, or cancel an existing enrollment in a health plan under the FEHB Program.
2016 FEHB and FEDVIP Premium Rates
OPM will post FEHB and FEDVIP premium rates for 2016 in early October. Participants will find specific federal benefits open season information -- including FEHB health plan brochures -- on on its website, http://www.opm.gov/insure, by the first week in November.