CSRS / FERS Federal Retirement Planning Tools and Resources: Thrift Savings - TSP, FEGLI, FEHB and more.
Home     Articles     News     Resources     Find A Professional     Retirement Seminars     FREE NEWSLETTER    
 Financial Professionals Directory

Find a financial professional in your area. Click here

 Retirement Seminars

Federal retirement seminars for agencies.
Learn more

 Top 5 Resources

1. TSP Roth option
2. GS pay scale 2015
3. Best dates to retire
4. Latest TSP returns
5. Discount dental plans

 CSRS Retirement
 Overview - CSRS
 Eligibility - CSRS
 Creditable Service -CSRS
 Survivor Benefits - CSRS
 Annuity Calculation-CSRS
 FERS Retirement
 Overview - FERS
 Eligibility - FERS
 Creditable Service -FERS
 Survivor Benefits - FERS
 Thrift Savings Plan
 Thrift Savings -Overview
 TSP Investment Choices
 TSP Loan Program
 TSP Contributions
 TSP Roth Option
 TSP Withdrawals
 TSP Returns
 TSP.gov Account Access
 TSP Forms Library
 TSP Talk Online Forum
 FEGLI - Life Insurance
 FEHB - Health Benefits
 FEDVIP - Dental/Vision
 FLTCIP - Long-Term Care
 FSAFEDS - Flex Spending
 Financial Planning
 Tax Tips
 Find A Professional
 Retirement Seminars
 Retirement Benefits Tax
 Retirement Living
 Relocation / Real Estate
 Retirement Jobs


Home | Survivor Benefits - CSRS | CSRS: Survivor Benefits Elections at Retirement

CSRS: Survivor Benefits Elections at Retirement

Printer-Friendly Format

Married CSRS employees*  may elect these survivor benefits options at retirement:

Current Spouse

  • Full survivor annuity for current spouse (55% of full annuity).
  • Less than full or no survivor annuity with consent of spouse (55% of selected base up to the full annuity amount).
  • "Insurable Interest" survivor annuity for current spouse if a survivor annuity has been awarded by a qualifying court order to a former spouse, or to provide for someone else.
  • Combination current/former spouse annuity with consent of current spouse.

* Survivors are eligible to receive an annuity if they have been married at least 9 months, are the natural parent of your child, or death was accidental.

Former Spouse

  • To provide a former spouse a survivor annuity, you must have been ordered by the court or elect former spouse benefits, and
  • Have been married at least 9 months,
  • Have performed at least 18 months of creditable service

A former spouse is defined as a person whose marriage was terminated to an employee on or after May 7, 1985, or who was a spouse of a retiree who retired on or after May 7, 1985, regardless of the date of termination of marriage.  The annuity is computed in the same way as a current spouse survivor annuity.  OPM must receive a certified copy of your court order, showing original seal or stamp of the court. 

Unmarried CSRS employees may elect these survivor benefits options at retirement:

  • No survivor benefit
  • "Insurable interest" survivor annuity
  • Full or partial survivor annuity for former spouse
  • Combination insurable interest/former spouse survivor annuity

Note:  If you marry after retirement, you may elect, within 2 years after the marriage, a reduced annuity to provide a current spouse benefit.  The reduction in your annuity is effective no earlier than the first of the month beginning 9 months after the date of marriage.  The premiums paid are retroactive to your date of retirement.  This deposit is paid by a permanent actuarial reduction.

·  CSRS: Lump Sum Payment Upon Death of Employee or Annuitant
·  CSRS: Survivor Benefits for Current Employees (Death-In-Service Benefits)
·  CSRS: Insurable Interest Election and Annuity Reduction
·  CSRS: Survivor Benefits Elections After Retirement

Featured Columnist
Read federal retirement articles written by federal benefits expert and Certified Financial Planner, Edward Zurndorfer

Recent Articles & Resources
 Postponing IRA Contributions Results in Lost Retirement Savings
 Bill Seeks to Reduce FEHBP Prescription Drug Costs
 Congressman Introduces Gender Diversity Investment Act for Thrift Savings Plan
 Special Considerations for Thrift Savings Plan Withdrawals
 'Most Livable Neighborhoods' For People Age 50+